[Ipe-discuss] Error compiling Latex text using IPE 7.2.24 on windows 10

Otfried Cheong ipe at otfried.org
Wed Feb 2 09:14:37 CET 2022

On Wed, Feb 2, 2022, at 09:04, Nasser M. Abbasi via Ipe-discuss wrote:
> I did try your suggestion. But when I looked at it on the screen the
> minipage width
> looked too narrow and I saw the equation overflowing outside the edges
> of
> the minipage on both sides. (may be that was a display issue. I do not
> know).
>
> So I went back to using default label type as it was before, and added the
> explicit minipage Latex code in to set the width so it fits.
>
> How does ipe minipage object know what width to use for the minipage
> environment when not specified?  What if one wants minipage to be
> just 2in wide for example? I did not see an option to do that.

Citing from the manual page (same link I included in my last message):

"A minipage object is different from a simple text object in that its width is part of its definition. When you create a minipage object, you first have to drag out a horizontal segment for the minipage. This is used as the top edge of the minipage—it will extend downwards as far as necessary to accomodate all the text. Minipages are formatted using, not surprisingly, Latex's minipage environment. Latex tries to fill the given bounding box as nicely as possible. It is possible to include center environments, lemmas, and much more in minipages."

So minipages are nicer than what you do now because Ipe allows you to visually select the width.   In this case, of course that doesn't matter.

If you change a label to a minipage, you normally want to adjust the width.  That's also on the right-click context menu.  Perhaps it's not so easy to find, because it's confusingly named "Change width".