[Ipe-discuss] pdftoipe then ipe open gives parse error

Otfried Cheong otfried at ipe.airpost.net
Wed Aug 3 22:00:48 CEST 2016

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016, at 17:21, Larry Evans wrote:
> ! Package inputenc Error: Unicode char \u8:▲ not set up for use with
> LaTeX.

The error message is pretty clear, isn't it?  You are using a character
that Latex doesn't know how to handle, even with input encoding UTF-8.

Vanilla latex really doesn't know anything about Unicode, so all
characters you want to use must be defined (painfully) by the inputenc
package.

You have two options:

(1) Take a text editor, open the .ipe file, and globally search and
replace the symbols ▲ and ▶.  You can, for instance, use some Latex
symbols instead.

(2) Use xelatex instead of pdflatex (Edit menu -> Document properties ->
Latex engine -> xetex).
In this case you must remove the style sheet that uses the package
inputenc (it should be the topmost style sheet).
You will also need to set some font that actually contains the
characters.  On my Ubuntu 14.04 system, the following in the Latex
preamble worked:

\usepackage{unicode-math}
\setmainfont{STIXGeneral}

There's probably an easier way, but I know next to nothing about xelatex
font selection.