[Ipe-discuss] Where's pdftoipe?

Thon, Michael m.thon at jacobs-university.de
Tue Oct 30 14:32:32 CET 2012

Guys,

pdftoipe is on the sourceforge page of ipe under Files -> Tools. You can download it and compile it yourself.

MacPorts has so called "portfiles" that are essentially compile and install scripts for various open source software. There is a portfile for ipe and one for ipe-tools (the packages under the tools directory on the ipe sourceforge site). There is no magic going on. If you have a look at the ipe-tools portfile, it essentially reads download the packages from sourceforge, configure, compile, install. It should be trivial to write an equivalent homebrew script if anyone wants to do so. Also, it should be no problem to just compile and install oneself.

MacPorts will install its own set of open-source libraries that it relies on, so you will have these in addition to the OSX ones, which wastes perhaps a GB or two of hard disk space and some memory, but saves many dependency hassles if you use it to manage many open-source packages. If you are familiar with the Linux or BSD package systems, then you will feel quite at home with MacPorts.

Hope this helps,
Michael