[Ipe-discuss] IPE 7 crashing constantly on MacOS X :-(

Otfried Cheong otfried at ipe.airpost.net
Sat May 14 16:33:20 CEST 2011

elwood151 wrote:
> I've submitted the logs for the last 25 crashes...
> https://sourceforge.net/apps/mantisbt/ipe7/view.php?id=41

Is there any reason you created a new bug instead of adding to bug #20?
  Do you  believe this is a different issue?

Just for clarity, Mac OS is not a supported platform for Ipe - I do not
have a Mac, are unwilling to learn Apple's idiosyncracies, and have no
way to help fix a problem that only appears on Macs.  I have done quite
a bit of testing with valgrind to see if there are memory allocation
errors in Ipe.

I have not had Ipe crashing on me for years now on the Linux platform
(which is the only one I actually use).

My suspicion is that this is once again a Qt bug.  Qt has become so
large and is developed at such a fast rate that it seems somewhat
brittle to me.  Can anyone recommend an alternative lighter GUI library
that works for Unix, Apple, and Windows?

Olivier's observation that this might be a reentrance problem is
interesting.  Nearly all Ipe actions are executed through MODEL:action
in actions.lua - one could set a flag here when one enters the action,
reset it when leaving, and see if the code is ever called while the flag
is set.  (I don't see how this could happen, though.)

To summarize: I am not working on this problem, and posting new bug
reports is useless until a Mac user actually sits down and debugs the
problem.  But perhaps it will just go away with a new version of Qt
sometime (like some previous 'Ipe bugs').