[Ipe-discuss] setting up external editor on MacOS X for IPE 7.0.13

Otfried Cheong otfried at ipe.airpost.net
Wed Jul 27 21:21:59 CEST 2011

On 07/26/2011 12:59 PM, elwood151 wrote:
> Then, the corresponding code appears in a smultron window,
> BUT when I try to save the code in smultron, I get a message that this was
> impossible as the file was already deleted.
> Those temporary files seem to be created in the directory /private/tmp on
> the startup disc.

I know nothing about Mac OS or /private/tmp, but Ipe simply generates a
temporary filename using the Lua function os.tmpname() (which - I guess
- simply calls tmpnam() or something similar).

If the filename doesn't work for you, you could hardwire a suitable
pathname in the function "externalEditor" in "tools.lua" (at the
beginning of the file).  Just change the line

   local fname = os.tmpname()

   local fname = "/home/me/ipe-work.txt"

or whatever you like.