[Ipe-discuss] setting up external editor on MacOS X for IPE 7.0.13

elwood151 elwood151 at web.de
Tue Jul 26 12:59:05 CEST 2011

I'd like to define an external text editor to change the xml code of IPE
objects.
I'm using IPE 7.0.13 on MacOS X 10.6.5.

I wanted to try it with Smultron, installed the command line option and I
can launch the editor from the terminal with smultron filename.

I changed the code in prefs.lua to:

if os.getenv("EDITOR") then
  prefs.external_editor = os.getenv("EDITOR") .. " %s"
elseif config.platform ~= "win" then
  prefs.external_editor = "smultron %s"
  -- prefs.external_editor = "gedit %s"
  -- prefs.external_editor = "emacsclient %s"
else
  prefs.external_editor = nil
end

Then, the corresponding code appears in a smultron window,
BUT when I try to save the code in smultron, I get a message that this was
impossible as the file was already deleted.
Those temporary files seem to be created in the directory /private/tmp on
the startup disc.

I'm working as a normal user, no admin - is this a permissions problem?

Kind regards

Martin