[Ipe-discuss] Help! Non-ASCII pathnames under Windows Vista

Otfried Cheong otfried at ipe.airpost.net
Wed Nov 11 12:40:34 CET 2009

Günter Rote wrote:
> Is there any fix or workaround for the following problem:
>
> I am one of the unfortunate people having a non-ASCII Character in
> my name and in my account name for the PC at home.

This was reported before (bug #298), but the bug reporter did not
respond to my requests for more information, so I couldn't fix it.

Could you send me the contents of
"C:\Users\Günter\AppData\Local\ipe\runlatex.bat" ?

My guess is that the path is in the wrong encoding in this batch file,
but I don't understand why.

Ipe obtains the name of the directory as:

    TCHAR szPath[MAX_PATH];
    if (SUCCEEDED(SHGetFolderPath(NULL, CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA,
				  NULL, 0, szPath))) {
      latexDir = String(szPath) + "\\ipe";
    } else {
      p = getenv("LOCALAPPDATA");
      if (p)
	latexDir = String(p) + "\\ipe";
      else
	latexDir = ipeDir("latexrun");
    }

My understanding is that latexDir should be in your local encoding
(LATIN-1, presumably?).  This string is then written directly (without
code conversion) into "runlatex.bat".

> IS THERE SOME TRICK OR WORKAROUND TO GET IPE RUNNING PDFLATEX?

The workaround is to set the IPELATEXDIR variable - but I really wont to
fix the problem, too!

The other workaround is to change your name :-)