[Ipe-discuss] Line attributes - bug or feature?

Otfried Cheong otfried at kaist.ac.kr
Sat Jan 28 10:18:24 CET 2006

Kaushik Ghose wrote:
> When you click on a line, the line attributes (thickness, arrow head
> etc.) don't update on the select boxes - they remain as they were set.
>
> So for instance if you draw two lines default thickness. Then you select
> one and make it "thin". Then when you select the other the attributes
> remain "thin" rather than go back to "normal".

This should be in the FAQ (see bug report #112).

I know that Microsoft software has his behaviour, but I don't like it,
and Ipe won't adopt this.  It would cause users to inadvertently reuse
the properties of objects they had previously selected, instead of the
standard settings they started with (and wanted).

Note that this is not a problem in, say, Microsoft word:  When you click
somewhere to start typing text, the toolbar will revert to the settings
active at this spot of the document.  This 'reverting' wouldn't be
possible in Ipe.