[Ipe-discuss] A feature suggestion for IPE

Johan Ingvast ingvast at md.kth.se
Sun Mar 6 19:38:26 CET 2005

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Kaushik Ghose wrote:

> So you would go to help->preferences  and there would be three
> checkboxes, one saying "Use XML as native" and the other two saying
> "Automatically export to .eps", "Automatically export to .pdf"
I agree that could be helpful.

While at the file-stuff I'd like to raise a similar topic, filename
extensions.

I do my writing in LyX, the good thing with it is that it can take care of
conversions between different file formats. So if I have a ipe -file
included and want to export to pdf, LyX can convert the ipe file into
pdf and then include it  into my document. Also if I export into ps, it
could first convert the ipe to eps and then include it.
This is fine. However, LyX uses the filename extension to distinguish the
file-types and for me .xml is not very robust. It works now because I don't
need to include any other file-type with the extension .xml, but if more
programs would use .xml just because it is an xml file I would run into
problem.
So I would like to suggest that it could be possible to use .ipe as an
extension for the xml-files.

/johan

--
Johan Ingvast, PhD student http://www.md.kth.se/~ingvast
Department of Machine Design, Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden