[Ipe-discuss] arrow shapes

Krzysztof Worytkiewicz krisw at bluewin.ch
Tue Jul 8 20:58:25 CEST 2003

Dear Otfried, Dear All,

I just made Ipe run on my box, it's a great diagramming tool!! I have
been looking for a such for a long time and even wrote a hack generating
pstricks-code, but this here is clearly superior because of the "Run
Latex" feature. I haven't tried it out yet but I don't expect all too
much problems with  piping the eps into LyX.

I'm a category-theorist (a branch of mathematics sometimes called
"abstract nonsense"), my main use of such tools is to draw diagrams
containing lots of  arrows of different shapes, and the shapes seem to
currently be a bit of a drawback with Ipe. I've seen in this discussion
list that development in this direction is planned, so I have  some
questions/suggestions:

  -  Is it possible to somehow customize Ipe to do this (ipelets)?
  -  If not, what kind of arrow shapes are planned and when
approximatively is the       relevant release forseen for distribution?

I am not sure if category-theorists are the main targeted user group,
but in order to draw sensible categorical diagrams one needs double
lines in addition to the dashed/dotted ones and at least the following
arrow shapes:

It would also be good to have a latex output (pstricks or xy-pic) since
some journals are quite control-obsessed and want latex sources for
everything.

Regards

Krzysztof