[Ipe-discuss] ipe 6.0 pre12 with freetype 2.1.7?

Steve M. Robbins steven.robbins at videotron.ca
Sun Dec 7 21:44:15 CET 2003

Hi,

I'm having serious problems using ipe when built with freetype 2.1.7.
I've tried both pre10 and pre12 with similar results.

Symptom #1: If I enter a text object on the page, it is rendered (after
CTRL-L) as a box only.  The saved PDF does show the text correctly,
but on-screen it appears as a box.  There is a disturbing message
that appears on the xterm window at the end of the pdftex run:

  Transcript written on text.log.
  Error: Couldn't create FreeType font 'FEUDKL+CMR10'
  Error: Couldn't find a font for 'FEUDKL+CMR10'

Symptom #2: If the text is mathematics (i.e. $x$), then ipe appears
to hang after CTRL-L.  The pdftex run has completed, ending with

  Output written on text.pdf (1 page, 9721 bytes).
  Transcript written on text.log.
  Error: Couldn't create FreeType font 'TQZPKI+CMR10'
  Error: Couldn't find a font for 'TQZPKI+CMR10'

but the Ipe window still shows "Running Latex ..." in the status
line.

I switched back to freetype 2.1.5, rebuilt Ipe, and things work
as expected.  I can see both the "x" and the "$x$" on-screen.

I was wondering whether anyone has successfully used freetype 2.1.7
with ipe.  If so, it must be a local configuration error with the
new freetype (the system is Debian/sid).

Thanks,
-Steve