[Ipe-announce] Ipe 6.0 preview 17 available

Otfried Cheong ocheong at win.tue.nl
Fri Jun 25 14:18:21 CEST 2004

It's time for a new release of Ipe.  Little has changed from the
user's perspective, yet internally Ipe's structure has become quite
different.  I've removed the dependency on Xpdf - Ipe now contains its
own small PDF parser, and generates Postscript itself instead of
creating a PDF file and running pdftops to generate the Postscript
output.

Due to the size of the changes, there are probably some new bugs.  The
last really stable version is still preview 14 - but I do need some
people to test the current development!

Those of you who build binary Ipe packages for others may note the
following changes:

  * The directory containing the Ipe documentation is now configurable
    (it doesn't need to be IPEDATADIR/doc anymore).  So you can have
    the documentation properly installed in /usr/share/doc/ipe, if you
    wish.

  * There are now "official" manpages, which I will maintain.  They
    are installed into IPEMANDIR.

  * The pdftoipe program is now longer in the Ipe source distribution,
    but available as a separate download.  It builds and runs entirely
    independent of Ipe (you don't need it to run Ipe, you don't need
    Ipe to build or run pdftoipe).

Enjoy,

Ipe 6.0 preview 17

 * Added man pages.

 * Fixed incorrect call to putenv (glibc has changed the semantics).

 * Removed dependence on Xpdf. Ipelib now contains the necessary code
   to parse and produce PDF as well as Postscript, so Ipelib clients
   can open any kind of Ipe document.

 * Removed pdftoipe from main Ipe distribution and packaged separately
   (it's still contained in the Windows distribution).

 * Fixed enormous memory leak in Ipebitmap destructor.

 * Directory for documentation is now configurable separately (for
   systems such as Debian where the natural place for documentation is
   in /usr/share/doc/ipe).

 * Ipe now displays current mouse position in user coordinates.

 * Split ipetoipe and ipetopng.