[Ipe-discuss] Implementation of a Lasso Selection Tool

Marian Brändle marianbraendle at gmx.de
Sun Jan 21 19:05:52 CET 2024

Hello everyone!

As a personal challenge this year I want to get more involved with
computational geometry (I'm actually far away from it as an
FPGA/embedded SW engineer).
As an easy start I have decided to implement a lasso selection tool in Ipe.
 From an algorithmic point of view, however, this was not particularly
interesting, most of the time I spent working on all edge cases of
(nested) transformation matrices (Ipe itself has a bug with certain
transformations (see https://github.com/otfried/ipe/issues/493)).
I thought the tool could be interesting for some of you. Maybe just as
inspiration for the development of your own Ipelets :)

Implementation details (algorithms used) and lessons learned can be
found in the readme.

Since I haven't actually looked into the lasso selection implementations
of other tools, I appreciate any feedback and suggestions for improvement.

The Ipelet is available under
https://github.com/Marian-Braendle/ipe-lassotool .

Best regards,
Marian Brändle