[Ipe-discuss] question on some PDF's generated by IPE not showing in Chrome browser

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Thu Oct 31 16:19:13 CET 2019

On 10/31/2019 5:07 AM, Otfried Cheong via Ipe-discuss wrote:
> You say that 'image.pdf' was created by Ipe, but that is not true:  the PDF meta data indicates that the producer of 'image.pdf' is 'pdftex-1.40'.
>
> If I run:
>
> ipetoipe -pdf image.ipe
> pdflatex foo.tex
>
> then both image.pdf and foo.pdf are displayed correctly by chrome.
>
> I'd be very curious how you created the 'image.pdf' file in the first place.
>
> Cheers,
>    Otfried

Thanks for noticing this. This image.pdf was created few
months ago by IPE. But I just found the problem.

After saving as PDF from IPE GUI (I do not use ipetoipe -pdf image.ipe)
then I run the program pdfcrop. pdfcrop is part of TeXLive

https://ctan.org/pkg/pdfcrop

>which pdfcrop
/usr/local/texlive/2019/bin/x86_64-linux/pdfcrop

>pdfcrop --margins 10 --clip image.pdf image.pdf

(that is why it said generator is pdftex-1.40)

And I am sure this what caused the problem. I think
pdfcrop must had a bug. Because with updated version
to TeXLive, I now did the following (I also removed
the --clip option, since some text on diagram was
getting clipped off well, which is bad).

1. Open IPE. load the image.ipe file. Save to PDF again.
2. run this:
    >pdfcrop --margins 10 image.pdf image.pdf
3. Now the image.pdf is fully displayed in Chrome OK.

So problem fixed! I am sure now it was the old version of
pdfcrop program and combination of using the --clip option
that caused this strange issue because now the problem is
gone.

Thanks
--Nasser