[Ipe-discuss] several questions

Otfried Cheong otfried at ipe.airpost.net
Fri Dec 9 11:49:12 CET 2016

No, there is currently no PDF manual, and there won't be until I have
time to do a thorough revision.  I was planning to do that this year,
but now it looks as if it has to wait until my next sabbatical.

If you want to search the full text of the manual, I suggest you google
for "keyword +site:ipe.otfried.org".

The manual is very much out of date (see above).   I simply do not have
enough time to give it a proper overhaul.

What Ipe can use very much is for users to contribute tutorials (or new
sections for the manual, which I would be happy to include).   The Wiki
is always open for such contribution.

In the mean time, your best source of information is the "news.txt"
file, which says this about the feature:

 * Added new mode to move graph vertices.  While the vertex moves, its
   incident edges follow automatically.  This uses a simple heuristic:
   Vertices are groups, references, or text objects, edges are path
   objects with a single open curve.

Then, you can search the archives of this very mailing list, which are
at http://lists.science.uu.nl/pipermail/ipe-discuss/.
There seems to be new search feature, but you can always google for:

ipe keyword +site:http://lists.science.uu.nl/

The graph vertex mode feature is really very simple:  Draw a graph, such
as

https://github.com/otfried/ipelets/raw/master/graphdrawing/graph1.ipe
or
https://github.com/otfried/ipelets/raw/master/graphdrawing/graph2.ipe

Then select the mode "Move graph nodes",  click near a vertex, and drag
it around.   The edges will follow automatically.

If it didn't work for you for another graph, the reason might be this
bug:  https://github.com/otfried/ipe-issues/issues/107

It will be fixed in 7.2.7 (but you can already perform the very simple
patch yourself by editing tools.lua).