[Ipe-discuss] trouble installing CGAL ipelets

Otfried Cheong otfried at ipe.airpost.net
Sat Oct 31 06:33:34 CET 2015

Dynamic linking on Mac OS seems to be quite a mess.   Indeed, according
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2339679/what-are-the-differences-between-so-and-dylib-on-osx,
Mac OS distinguishes shared libraries and loadable modules, even though
the only difference seems to be that the latter cannot be linked
against.

Currently my makefiles build ipelets as shared libraries with the dylib
extension.  In the next version I'll change the makefiles to use the
-bundle option for compiling ipelets, and the extension to .so.

I will also change the load to look first for <ipelet name>.so and if
that fails for <ipelet name>.dylib - so no matter how you compile it, it
should work.

In the meantime, however, Ipe 7.1.7 ~ 7.1.9 require ipelets to be named
.dylib on Mac OS.   Just renaming them will be enough, it does not
matter if they are compiled as loadable plugins or shared libraries.

Otfried