[Ipe-discuss] How to update IPE documents (pdf) from command line?

Otfried Cheong otfried at ipe.airpost.net
Wed Mar 18 03:50:09 CET 2015

I was hoping a Mac user would answer this, as I don't know exactly how
it works.

First of all, you need to have the "ipescript" program on your path.
It's in the same place as the Ipe binary itself.  You should be able to
say "ipescript" on the command line and see the following output:

$ ipescript
Usage: ipescript <script> { <arguments> }
Ipescript runs a script from your scripts directories with
the given arguments.
Do not include the .lua extension in the script name.

The standard scripts add-style.lua and update-styles.lua are in the
system-wide Ipe scripts directory, which is probably
<path-to-Ipe-bundle>/Contents/Resources/local/share/ipe/7.1.7/styles/

If ipescript cannot find the script, you would see the following output:

$ ipescript add-style
[string "require "add-style""]:1: module 'add-style' not found:

That means that the path to the scripts directory is not set up
correctly.  It should suffice to set the environment variable
IPESCRIPTS, like this:

export
IPESCRIPTS=<path-to-Ipe-bundle>/Contents/Resources/local/share/ipe/7.1.7/styles

(I have no idea what the <path-to-Ipe-bundle> is, and in any case the
program should be fixed to find the directory itself...)