[Ipe-discuss] Drawing a line to a middle of an object

Otfried Cheong otfried at ipe.airpost.net
Sun Oct 26 09:40:49 CET 2014

On 26/10/14 15:09, Moshe Idan wrote:
> Hello, Mainly for drawing block diagrams, but also for other cases, I
> would like to draw a line that goes to the middle of a boundary of,
> e.g., a rectangular box or the middle of a line. Another case is
> drawing a circle the center of which is the middle of a line or the
> middle of one of the boundaries of a box. The snapping options
> (vertex, boundary, intersection) don't help. Clearly if I use grid
> and draw everything "symmetric" to that grid, I could find the middle
> of lines. But what if I don't go with the grid, or if an object was
> moved from the grid due to, e.g., alignment operations? To sum up, I
> am looking for a way to find the middle of a boundary of a rectangle
> or a line segment.

Draw a circle by diameter, snapping to the endpoints of the segment.
After that, you can snap to the center of the circle.

On my to-do list is adding snapping to centers of segments.  The main
question is whether this should be always on when vertex snapping is on
(like the center of a circle), or if it should be an additional snapping
mode (that is, we'd have vertex, boundary, midpoint, and intersection
snapping).