[Ipe-discuss] UI-update

Otfried Cheong otfried at ipe.airpost.net
Sun Nov 27 01:58:15 CET 2011

On 11/27/2011 09:15 AM, Troels Sørensen wrote:
> Reading actions.lua also made me figure out that it is indeed
> possible to delete a layer.  This is highly non-obvious, and actually
> the reason for me starting to write ipelets.  Is there any reason for
> not allowing deletion of non-empty layers (besides the undo-code not
> supporting it atm.)?  I often end up with extra layers that are not
> visible in any views, and it is annoying having to empty a layer to be
> able to delete it.  Similarly, the selected layer in some view seems
> like a strange block for deleting a layer.

So what should be the desired behaviour?  Simply delete all the objects
in the layer that you are deleting?  Or move them to the active layer?

Every view needs to have an active layer, so what should Ipe do when you
delete a layer that's active somewhere?   I think it would be a rather
unpleasant surprise if Ipe simply switched the view to a different
active layer.

Of course would we could do is enable "delete" in the side menu for all
layers, and then show an error message if it is active in some view, to
make it clearer to the user what is happening.