[Ipe-discuss] Text size very large when converting from PDF to ipe?

elwood151 elwood151 at web.de
Tue Jul 19 12:29:35 CEST 2011

I'm trying to use IPE 7.0.13 to rework graphics taken from a statistics
software (JMP) to use them in my thesis.

Goals:
* Consistent fonts, typography and appearance (like other graphics).
* use of mathematical symbols
* small vector graphics (PDF)

I have uploaded example files here:
http://old.nabble.com/file/p32089824/AllFilesForDownload.zip
AllFilesForDownload.zip

My workflow and problem description:
1) I print the graphics to a pdf file and save it with Preview.app in MacOS
X 10.6.
-> I get ProfilerChart.pdf

2) I convert the pdf to ipe with
pdftoipe -unicode 2 -merge 2 ProfilerChart.pdf
-> I get ProfilerChart.ipe

3) I have to add \usepackage[ngerman]{babel} in the preamble and then can
compile latex.

The 2 screenshots I've added show the state before and after the compile,
and the font size is extremely big compared to the graphics.

Is there a way to scale down all font "elements" in the ipe file to "normal"
size (easily)?
Is there a better way to convert the pdf to ipe to have a reasonable font
size directly?

I had made a first attempt by creating the PDF files in MS Windows with
FreePDF.
The advantage: Font size is no problem.
the disadvantage which made me switch to MacOS: The curves created by
Freepdf are all segmented in small pieces, whereas when creating the PDFs in
OS X each curve in the diagram is one (sp)line, so it is much easier to edit
the graphs afterwards.

Kind regards

Martin