[Ipe-discuss] external editor

Otfried Cheong otfried at ipe.airpost.net
Fri Mar 26 01:44:02 CET 2010

Kostas Oikonomou wrote:
> I hadn't thought about the style and size of paragraphs. The whole issue
> for me is the Emacs key bindings.
>
> What could fixed in tools.lua?

One easy change would be to make the external editor pop up immediately.
  Once you close it, the text would show up in the normal Ipe text
dialog, and you would have to press OK, or Cancel, and you could still
change the style and size.

To do this, insert the line

   externalEditor(d, "text")

just before "local r = d:execute(prefs.editor_size)" in
MODEL:createText, in MODEL:createParagraph, and MODEL:action_edit_text.

I will add a preference option to implement this behavior.

You could even change the code so that the text from the external editor
is automatically accepted (but then you lose the chance to cancel the
operation, or to change the style and size).