[Ipe-discuss] LaTeX runs -> temporary files

Otfried Cheong otfried at ipe.airpost.net
Mon Mar 8 03:40:41 CET 2010

Andreas Keil wrote:
> Well, even a less ambiguous name than "text.tex" would already do the job.
> Maybe you could just change "text.tex" into "ipe-tmp.tex" (or sth. similar)
> in the source code...? Sorry for demanding a change but I think this would
> not change anything in Ipe's usage or philosophy and could be done in a
> minute. But you're the developer and I am really grateful that you made this
> tool available! So please just take this as a suggestion ;-)

Ok, I'll change it into "ipetemp.tex" in the next release.

> As I understand, I can't use pdflatex's command line parameters since Ipe
> generates the batch file that calls pdflatex, right? However, I could run
> Ipe in an environment where TEXINPUTS is defined appropriately.
> Unfortunately, MiKTeX's documentation only mentions it but does not explain
> the content's syntax:
> http://docs.miktex.org/2.8/manual/envvars.html

When I tried using TEXINPUTS in MiKTeX, it did not seem to work at all.

One possibility is to write a small batch file that calls pdflatex with
arguments, and set IPEPDFLATEX to point to this batch file.

But can't you simply use:

\input{../packages}
\input{../commands}

in the Ipe document's preamble?

In any case, I'm still not convinced this is the right way to do it.
You have to manually rerun Ipe on all images to make sure they are
updated to the latest style.  But if you do that, you could just as well
update a built-in style sheet with all the definitions needed, as
ipe-update-master does.