[Ipe-discuss] localization / internationalization

Otfried Cheong otfried at ipe.airpost.net
Fri Jan 8 02:39:45 CET 2010

Julien Rioux wrote:
> I consider ipe 7 a great piece of software and was wondering if there
> is any effort or interest to localize / internationalize this tool
> into many languages. This could boost the use of ipe among non-native
> speakers of english.

Ipe does not currently support localization.  The problem is that
message strings are distributed over Ipe C++ code, Ipe Lua code, ipelet
Lua code, and ipelet C++ code, and to support localization I would first
have to build an infrastructure that supports this.

I have no plans to do this in the foreseeable future.  The intended
audience for Ipe is people who make figures and presentations for
scientific articles, and an English UI is not an obstacle for this
audience.

By the way, Gwenaël Cléon had actually translated the UI for Ipe
6.0pre28 into French.  Unfortunately his effort was lost as so much
changed between Ipe 6 and Ipe 7.