[Ipe-discuss] update of Image Objects

Keith D. Matthews keith at alice.caltech.edu
Tue Aug 24 09:48:57 CEST 2010

Hi,

I've been looking at using Ipe to make figures for a talk I'll be giving
on merging black hole event horizons.

I've been using a Mathematica/tikz/beamer/make workflow to generate my
figures.  I generate a picture in Mathematica and then export it as .png.
Then in my .tex file I use tikz to annotate that picture to make a decent
figure.

The trouble is that using tikz to annotate can be very inefficient since
it takes a while to tweak the location of each entry.  The graphical
interface of Ipe is a very appealing alternative.

On the other hand, using tikz means that I can modify the Mathematica
generated picture and then just call make again.

I'm hoping that I can use Ipe to annotate the figures, using stylesheets
to guarantee consistency with the beamer style.  Then I'll simply use
\includegraphics to incorporate Ipe's .pdf files as my figures.

Is there a command-line interface for Ipe that I can use in my Makefile
that will automatically regenerate the figure .pdfs when the Mathematica
generated pictures change?  Or perhaps there's a better way to use Ipe for
this?

Thanks,
Keith