[Ipe-discuss] PNG import quality

Kostas Oikonomou ko at research.att.com
Thu Apr 29 14:18:51 CEST 2010

(I am resending these messages, I forgot to cc the ipe list)

Hi Otfried,

I have exported an OpenOffice drawing to PDF, and I am
converting it to PNG using Ghostscript.  The specific command is

gs -dSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=png48
-dTextAlphaBits=4 -r100 -sOutputFile=nperf-internal.png
nperf-internal.pdf

When I view the resulting png file with, say Emacs or the
Gimp, I see a very good quality image. But when I insert the
image in my Ipe presentation, it looks much worse.  Do you
have any idea as to what might be going on?

(part 2)

I now notice that Ghostscript etc is really irrelevant.  I
used Ghostscript to convert because I thought that exporting
straight to PNG from OpenOffice wasn't yielding good enough
quality.

But I now see that a straight OO export produces PNG files
that look good in Emacs and Gimp, and bad in Ipe.

						Kostas