[Ipe-discuss] Interface changes in Ipe 7

Freek freek_ipe at vanwal.nl
Tue Nov 3 23:47:01 CET 2009

On Tuesday 03 November 2009, Otfried Cheong wrote:
> Tim Hutt wrote:
> > 1. The ability to add new colours, angles, grid sizes, etc to a global
> > style sheet in the UI. Symbolic styles are clearly awesome, but I
> > doubt anyone really uses them since it involves editing XML by hand.
>
> Ipe is meant for users who _want_ to write text in Latex.  Editing
> stylesheet is easy compared to that.

Still, there's a really easy way to improve the usability a lot here (in my
opinion): an edit button in the Style sheet dialog, working just like
the "Editor" button in the Text object edit dialogs.

I know about the Update style sheets menu option, but I don't like it because
I would need to store the style sheets next to the document. Now that I'm
thinking of it, I guess there are two different ways of using stylesheets (of
course combinable):
- document-specific style sheets: here the Edit button would be very helpful;
- generic, but user-specific style sheets: here the Update style sheets option
could be very helpful, if only you could specify your own "global" style
sheet location.

--
Freek