[Ipe-discuss] Interface changes in Ipe 7

Otfried Cheong otfried at ipe.airpost.net
Tue Nov 3 21:37:38 CET 2009

Tim Hutt wrote:
> 1. The ability to add new colours, angles, grid sizes, etc to a global
> style sheet in the UI. Symbolic styles are clearly awesome, but I
> doubt anyone really uses them since it involves editing XML by hand.

Ipe is meant for users who _want_ to write text in Latex.  Editing
stylesheet is easy compared to that.

One could always write an ipelet to do this.

> 4. Order the text sizes in the drop-down in order of size. Who can
> remember whether 'Huge' is bigger than 'huge', or 'tiny' is smaller
> than 'footnote'?

This isn't that easy, because "huge" and "Huge" are simply symbolic
attributes.  Ipe has no idea which one is larger.

But I have ideas for improving the ordering.

> 10. When you try to delete a non-empty page, show a "Are you sure you
> wish to continue?" dialog rather than "You cannot do this!". I always
> have to cut the pages instead.

You are talking about Ipe 6.  In Ipe 7, you can delete non-empty pages.

> 13. Add 10 grey levels to the default stylesheet.

The default style sheet is user-specific. Help yourself!

> 14. Draw the page borders in blue when panning.

This is currently disabled because of a Qt bug.  It'll work again when
Qt is fixed...