[Ipe-discuss] Does Ipe require the lua interpreter?

Otfried Cheong otfried at ipe.airpost.net
Sun Dec 20 04:00:34 CET 2009

> The prerequisite packages for building Ipe 7.0.10 include
> liblua5.1-0-dev.  The binary is linked with liblua, so that library is
> required at runtime.
>
> Is the lua interpreter also required at runtime?
>
> If not required, is it useful in any way to have the lua interpreter
> on the system running ipe?

It is not required - Ipe runs fine without it, and does not need it in
any way.  However, it is possible to write scripts that process Ipe
files in Lua.  The last paragraph in install.txt describes how to make
sure that the Lua interpreter can find the Ipelib bindings.  In
particular, Ipe comes with one script "ipe-update-master", which - being
a Lua script - requires the interpreter and requires the Ipelib bindings
to be installed as described in install.txt.

So, if your package installs "ipe-update-master", you need to require
the Lua interpreter.  Otherwise, "suggest" sounds right to me.