[Ipe-discuss] drawing many block diagrams

Ryan Krauss ryanlists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 04:11:56 CET 2007

I need to draw many block diagrams like the one attached.  Because of
the number I need to create, I have previously used a program called
diagraph which has a simple language for describing the block diagram.
 It converts its input script to drawing commands in a Latex picture
environment.  This works fairly well, but it is difficult to get the
output to scale nicely.  That is my current problem: I am trying to
use figures from my Ph.D. thesis in a two-column article, and it isn't
going well.

I created the attached block diagram with ipe and it looks great and
of course scales nicely.  But it takes a long time to create it.

The input script to diagraph used commands like
R(1)
c("$ v $")
b(2,1,"$ G_p $")

where R(1) means create a right pointing arrow 1 unit long with an
arrow head (use r for no arrow head), c("$ v$") means label the
previous element with $ v $, and b(2,1," G_p $") means create a box
that is 2 by 1 with $ G_p $ in the center of it.  The language is a
bit weird at first, but it allows for very fast creation of many of
these kinds of diagrams (creating the one ipe one by hand took 20
minutes or so).

Is there an easy way to make ipe understand this kind of an input
script and quickly create these kinds of diagrams?

Thanks,

Ryan