[Ipe-discuss] Trimming Resulting PDF File

Otfried Cheong otfried at kaist.ac.kr
Mon Nov 7 03:33:25 CET 2005

> That's good to know. According to the Ipe doc, cropbox is needed only
>  with early versions of pdflatex. I've turned it off because I have a
> newish version of pdflatex installed.

This isn't quite accurate.  All versions of pdflatex will first try to
use the cropbox, and if that isn't set, fall back on the mediabox.  New
versions of pdflatex can be instructed to use the artbox instead.
However, this is *not* the default, you need to ask for it (see the Ipe
manual), and you actually get a warning message if you do as described
in the Ipe manual.

It therefore seems smart to leave "use cropbox" on when preparing
figures that are meant for inclusion in documents (you'll have less to
explain to coauthors, publishers, etc.)