[Ipe-discuss] LaTeX settings, group object and endpoint of a line

Johan Ingvast ingvast at md.kth.se
Mon Jun 13 09:46:54 CEST 2005

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005, Martin Bretschneider wrote:
> 2. Currently, I draw a lot of circles that are connected with lines
> (arrows). If I move these circles, the lines lose the connection to
> the circle and if I move the arrow and the circle at the same time the
> other end of the arrow has lost its circle.
> My question is if there is a possibility to connect the end point of a
> line (arrow) and an object (cirlce, sqaure) in a kind of grouping. If
> you move this group, the end point of the line does also move and the
> line does follow the object.
Apart from the normal group of object, I don't know any other way of doing
this in Ipe. I agree that this would be a nice feature, however it would
probably make the whole user interface much more complicated.

A feature that would not complicate  the interface but still take care
of your problem would be two modes of  the move command:
1. Ordinary move, that moves only the objects selected.
2. "constrained" move working only for objects consisting of a closed
   path. When moving the path, also all points of lines (including those
   not selected) that can be found within or on the path are moved.
This approach is used in programs like tgif.
(call this a feature request)

/johan

--
Johan Ingvast, PhD student http://www.md.kth.se/~ingvast
Department of Machine Design, Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden