[Ipe-discuss] a comment, and a problem with pdf to xml conversion (pdftoipe)

Kostas Oikonomou k.oikonomou at att.net
Wed Apr 9 04:26:14 CEST 2003

Hello,

I've been using Ipe 5 for a while, and I was very happy to discover version 6!
I think v6 is a great improvement, with only one exception: the amount of
clicking necessary has increased!  I very much liked the brevity (keyboard) of
v5.  I read somewhere on the mailing list about "multi-key sequences" and
necessary modifications to the source.  Will this make it into a future version?
I have v6 pre 9 running on a Sparc Solaris 8 system.

Now to a problem.  I have a small PS file, showing a histogram of some data.  I
convert it PDF using Acrobat distiller.  I verify that the .ps and .pdf files
look the same.  I try opening the PDF file with Ipe and I get "Error loading
document h.pdf".  Then I run pdftoipe by hand on "h.pdf", to make "h.xml". Ipe
has no problem opening "h.xml".  However, the labels on the x-axis, which are 0,
0.1, 0.2, etc, appear all as a single text object.

This is how the labels are in the orignal .ps file:

newpath
0.00 0.00 0.00 setrgbcolor /Times-Roman findfont 0017 scalefont setfont
(0) stringwidth pop 2 div neg 98 add 31 moveto
(0) show
0.00 0.00 0.00 setrgbcolor /Times-Roman findfont 0017 scalefont setfont
(0.1) stringwidth pop 2 div neg 139 add 31 moveto
(0.1) show
0.00 0.00 0.00 setrgbcolor /Times-Roman findfont 0017 scalefont setfont
(0.2) stringwidth pop 2 div neg 181 add 31 moveto
(0.2) show
0.00 0.00 0.00 setrgbcolor /Times-Roman findfont 0017 scalefont setfont

etc.

				Kostas Oikonomou