arisaema consanguinem

guy gusman ggusman at ULB.AC.BE
Mon Aug 17 08:47:40 CEST 1998

>Folks:
>
>        I know we have about beaten a dead arisaema to death, but I've got
>another
>question about A. consanguineum.  One of the bulbs that we collected in
>Dali, China in fall 1996 emerged approximately 10 days ago, and now is in
>full flower (August 14).  Other A. consanguineums in the garden emerged and
>flowered in mid to late June.  This one is a nice silver centered form,
>having formed 5 small plants around the larger bulb, including one 4" from
>the main stalk.  If as Guy suggests this species is non-stoloniferous, does
>it still offset, and why does it emerge so late. (I haven't dug it to check
>for stolons). It did this also last year, but I assumed that it was still
>adjusting...not so any more.  Any ideas.
>Tony Avent

Tony,
As you say, A. consanguineum is non (i.e. never) stoloniferous but often
quite proliferous: the tuberlets are produced in direct contact with the
mother tuber.
Moreover, A. consanguineum has a wide distribution from W Himalaya to
Central China and, to the south, up to Hong Kong. This explains why, in my
garden, the first specimens flower in February - YES, it is still freezing
- while the last flower in mid August. Silver centered form, e.g. from
Kunming Western Hills, are quite late to emerge.
Guy