Arisaema of the Week

Roy Herold rrh at GENESIS.NRED.MA.US
Sun Aug 3 16:03:35 CEST 1997

I'm taking a break from Wilbert's collection to insert a shot of one of my
own arisaemas. This shot was taken just yesterday (8/2) by a friend who has
a digital camera. See:

http://www.mdc.net/~rrh/ar101303a1.jpg

I collected this plant last fall in Yunnan, and at the time I thought it
must be A. franchetianum, judging from the leaves and the shape of the
tuber. However, it bloomed three weeks after the regular franchetianum
(after being stored and potted in exactly the same way) and is still in
bloom now. The leaves are not as shiny, with more of the matte finish of
candidissimum.

Now I'm not a taxonomist, but I'll be darned if this is the same species as
the regular franchetianum in the trade, and the one that has been pictured
in the literature (AGS, FOC, etc.). I'll be posting more shots of it later
this week. Seeds? Alas, both of the plants in bloom right now are females.

So what do the experts think? Do we have a new one?

--Roy Herold