[Trillium-l] Hybridizing

Mellard, David (ATSDR/DCHI/EB) dam7 at cdc.gov
Fri Jan 23 20:04:18 CET 2015

>It is my opinion, that there is more interest and enthusiast hybridizing in Europe with trilliums.

Let’s not forget the Kiwis.  They have and are doing amazing things with hybridizing the western sessile trillium.  Now that the southeastern trillium are gaining hold there, I suspect there will be some hybridizing there, too.  My garden is full of southeastern sessile trillium and I’ve yet to see a hybrid pop up.  New seedlings are easy to identify once they flower.  The only ones that I would suspect would hybridize are cuneatum and ludovicianium.  Their flowering times often overlap for a short period and they have the same insect, a gnat, that goes all crazy on petals.

David
Atlanta