[Trillium-l] PA Native Trillium Sources

swm1 swm1 at ptd.net
Fri Jan 23 18:41:56 CET 2015


Russ,

Thanks for the source and the advise!  Will see what I can come up with.

Mark

----- Original Message -----
From: "Russell Graham" <eldergrahams at me.com>
To: swm1 at ptd.net, "Trillium Enthusiast Discussion List (and other Woodland plants)" <trillium-l at science.uu.nl>
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2015 11:32:44 AM
Subject: Re: [Trillium-l] PA Native Trillium Sources

Hi Mark,

Gardens of the Blue Ridge gets good reviews as to quality and most likely you will get what you order. Many if not most of the eBay sources are suspect as to the price and therefore the "source" of the plants (as well as the success you might expect...).

Most of the online source lists are way out of date and you will have to do some checking to find nursery propagated sources. Sometimes it is well worth checking reviews at the Daves Garden site.

Welcome to the "club"!

Russ
On Jan 23, 2015, at 4:34 AM, swm1 wrote:

> All,
> 
> Recently joined your "club", and I find the "conversations" fascinating!
> 
> I live and grow trillium in Tioga County, PA (-15 to -20 F typical lowest temp).  Yes, you might say that this is the artic of PA.
> 
> Have grown all three of our county natives (T erectum, T grandiflorum, and T undulatum) for many years in my garden, T undulatum with less success.  Have had natural seedlings of T erectum and T grandiflorum for years, but they are always true to species.  So, they apparently don't cross hybridize.  
> 
> 
> Would like to add some of the other PA natives, (T cernuum, T cuneatum, T fleflexipes, T nivale, and T sessile) into the mix to see what hybrids might be produced.
> 
> Does anyone out there know of sources for these other PA natives?
> 
> Thanks!
> Mark Simonis
> 
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: trillium-l-request at science.uu.nl
> To: trillium-l at science.uu.nl
> Sent: Friday, January 23, 2015 6:00:13 AM
> Subject: Trillium-l Digest, Vol 50, Issue 12
> 
> Send Trillium-l mailing list submissions to
> 	trillium-l at science.uu.nl
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	http://mailman.science.uu.nl/mailman/listinfo/trillium-l
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	trillium-l-request at science.uu.nl
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	trillium-l-owner at science.uu.nl
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Trillium-l digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>   1. Re: Exporting Trilliums to Uk (Russell Graham)
>   2. Re: Exporting Trilliums to Uk (Chris Wetmore)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 17:57:12 -0800
> From: Russell Graham <eldergrahams at me.com>
> Subject: Re: [Trillium-l] Exporting Trilliums to Uk
> To: "Trillium Enthusiast Discussion List (and other Woodland plants)"
> 	<trillium-l at science.uu.nl>
> Message-ID: <4760571D-9964-4535-81BE-52E824BA4869 at me.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> Hello Chris and Colin,
> 
> On Jan 20, 2015, at 1:25 PM, Chris Wetmore wrote:
> 
>> Colin,
>> 
>> In my humble opinion trillium hybridizing and growing seems to be much further along in Europe.
> 
> I am curious as to what information drives your opinion about hybridizing Chris. I tend to agree about the "growing," but I am unaware of "any" controlled efforts at hybridizing (anywhere actually).
> 
>> The one exception would be Plant Delights in the US. Check out the trillium group on Facebook and I don't know if John Aipassa or Ulf Sill are going to read this email but maybe reach out to them on Facebook. They likely know many European sources. 
> 
> There are a few other folks propagating Trilliums in the US, even some at the wholesale level I am told. However, before you get your hopes up Colin, I am unaware of "any" that don't easily sell out quickly to "existing" customers.
> 
>> 
>> Ps. Not that you would intentionally but please don't buy from people who are going to pilfer the woods. I live in North Carolina and rather like seeing them in the woods. 
> 
> Interesting caution and appropriate, but my guess is the only sources of "wholesale" trilliums at a price Colin would be willing to pay would be from folks that are collecting.
> 
> I recently contacted a nursery in the UK to request shipment of Trillium (retail) to Oregon and was told somewhat curtly, NO way, just too much hassle. I was not surprised as that has been the typical response from nurseries in that part of the world. BUT, I have to recognize that many US nurseries will NOT ship to Oregon, again because of the hassle.
> 
> Back to Colin's original request, my suspicion is that there are few "growers" with enough propagated stock to make it worth their time to ship wholesale overseas at a reasonable price. Good Luck.
> 
> Best,
> Russ
> 
> 
> 
> Russell Graham, Purveyor of Plants, Salem, OR, Zone 8 (7)
> 
> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://mailman.science.uu.nl/pipermail/trillium-l/attachments/20150122/920853ca/attachment-0001.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 00:04:44 -0500
> From: Chris Wetmore <chriscwetmore at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Trillium-l] Exporting Trilliums to Uk
> To: "Trillium Enthusiast Discussion List (and other Woodland plants)"
> 	<trillium-l at science.uu.nl>
> Message-ID: <52655597-4642-4D2F-B857-062D54D0B3F8 at yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> Russ,
> 
> "Controlled efforts" is an interesting way to put it. Now what makes something a controlled effort? Can it be an enthusiast or a university or a nursery operation? What are the odds  someone knows about controlled efforts or can read about them online? An enthusiast isn't telling anyone except maybe their circle of friends. A university is hush hush and a prime example is NC State with their Mountain Horticultural & Research Center. Sure NC State will show you the final product in the garden center and they may publish a paper on it but there surely aren't telling anyone what they are doing. By the way they have made some amazing plants. 
> 
> It is my opinion, that there is more interest and enthusiast hybridizing in Europe with trilliums. I came to this opinion based on what I have seen at the collector level. I don't have a fact sheet with charts to prove it. Cypripedium hybridizing is also much more advanced in Europe. Tissue culture cypripediums is taking hold in the US but the top cypripedium hybridizing is coming out of Europe with the Werner Frosch hybrids. That holds true, again my opinion, for many cold hardy woodland plants. 
> 
> Now say we are talking about the US. Evergreen azaleas, rhododendrons, and magnolias dominate many hybridizing efforts. Primarily by enthusiasts as well as universities. Here it is also my opinion that the best hybridizing occurs at the enthusiast level. Now that enthusiast may turn into a business etc but it starts with enthusiasts. Buddy Lee did that with Encore azaleas. Augie Kehr, in retirement 20-30 years ago, created many magnolia and rhododendron hybrids that are highly sought after today. 
> 
> So while I am not saying you are incorrect that there you aren't aware of any "controlled efforts" in trillium hybridizing. But how do you know there isn't any occurring? Most hybridizers have a goal in mind. They release their plants when they reach that goal or stumble upon a superior plant. This often takes several generations. With trillium after waiting for several generations you may lose the hybridizer before you reach a goal. 
> 
> What trillium were you wanting to purchase in the UK? Was it not available in the US?
> 
> Chris 
> Maiden, NC
> 
> 
> Sent from my iPhone
> 
>> On Jan 22, 2015, at 8:57 PM, Russell Graham <eldergrahams at me.com> wrote:
>> 
>> Hello Chris and Colin,
>> 
>>> On Jan 20, 2015, at 1:25 PM, Chris Wetmore wrote:
>>> 
>>> Colin,
>>> 
>>> In my humble opinion trillium hybridizing and growing seems to be much further along in Europe.
>> 
>> I am curious as to what information drives your opinion about hybridizing Chris. I tend to agree about the "growing," but I am unaware of "any" controlled efforts at hybridizing (anywhere actually).
>> 
>>> The one exception would be Plant Delights in the US. Check out the trillium group on Facebook and I don't know if John Aipassa or Ulf Sill are going to read this email but maybe reach out to them on Facebook. They likely know many European sources. 
>> 
>> There are a few other folks propagating Trilliums in the US, even some at the wholesale level I am told. However, before you get your hopes up Colin, I am unaware of "any" that don't easily sell out quickly to "existing" customers.
>> 
>>> 
>>> Ps. Not that you would intentionally but please don't buy from people who are going to pilfer the woods. I live in North Carolina and rather like seeing them in the woods. 
>> 
>> Interesting caution and appropriate, but my guess is the only sources of "wholesale" trilliums at a price Colin would be willing to pay would be from folks that are collecting.
>> 
>> I recently contacted a nursery in the UK to request shipment of Trillium (retail) to Oregon and was told somewhat curtly, NO way, just too much hassle. I was not surprised as that has been the typical response from nurseries in that part of the world. BUT, I have to recognize that many US nurseries will NOT ship to Oregon, again because of the hassle.
>> 
>> Back to Colin's original request, my suspicion is that there are few "growers" with enough propagated stock to make it worth their time to ship wholesale overseas at a reasonable price. Good Luck.
>> 
>> Best,
>> Russ
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Russell Graham, Purveyor of Plants, Salem, OR, Zone 8 (7)
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> Trillium-l mailing list
>> Trillium-l at science.uu.nl
>> http://mailman.science.uu.nl/mailman/listinfo/trillium-l
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://mailman.science.uu.nl/pipermail/trillium-l/attachments/20150123/3a68a500/attachment-0001.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Trillium-l mailing list
> Trillium-l at science.uu.nl
> http://mailman.science.uu.nl/mailman/listinfo/trillium-l
> 
> 
> End of Trillium-l Digest, Vol 50, Issue 12
> ******************************************
> _______________________________________________
> Trillium-l mailing list
> Trillium-l at science.uu.nl
> http://mailman.science.uu.nl/mailman/listinfo/trillium-l



More information about the Trillium-l mailing list