[Trillium-l] Exporting Trilliums to Uk

Chris Wetmore chriscwetmore at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 23 06:04:44 CET 2015

Russ,

"Controlled efforts" is an interesting way to put it. Now what makes something a controlled effort? Can it be an enthusiast or a university or a nursery operation? What are the odds  someone knows about controlled efforts or can read about them online? An enthusiast isn't telling anyone except maybe their circle of friends. A university is hush hush and a prime example is NC State with their Mountain Horticultural & Research Center. Sure NC State will show you the final product in the garden center and they may publish a paper on it but there surely aren't telling anyone what they are doing. By the way they have made some amazing plants.

It is my opinion, that there is more interest and enthusiast hybridizing in Europe with trilliums. I came to this opinion based on what I have seen at the collector level. I don't have a fact sheet with charts to prove it. Cypripedium hybridizing is also much more advanced in Europe. Tissue culture cypripediums is taking hold in the US but the top cypripedium hybridizing is coming out of Europe with the Werner Frosch hybrids. That holds true, again my opinion, for many cold hardy woodland plants.

Now say we are talking about the US. Evergreen azaleas, rhododendrons, and magnolias dominate many hybridizing efforts. Primarily by enthusiasts as well as universities. Here it is also my opinion that the best hybridizing occurs at the enthusiast level. Now that enthusiast may turn into a business etc but it starts with enthusiasts. Buddy Lee did that with Encore azaleas. Augie Kehr, in retirement 20-30 years ago, created many magnolia and rhododendron hybrids that are highly sought after today.

So while I am not saying you are incorrect that there you aren't aware of any "controlled efforts" in trillium hybridizing. But how do you know there isn't any occurring? Most hybridizers have a goal in mind. They release their plants when they reach that goal or stumble upon a superior plant. This often takes several generations. With trillium after waiting for several generations you may lose the hybridizer before you reach a goal.

What trillium were you wanting to purchase in the UK? Was it not available in the US?

Chris
Maiden, NC

Sent from my iPhone