[Trillium-l] Night temperature

Miles, Dan miles.d at lynchburg.edu
Tue Jan 20 14:11:31 CET 2015

I think I should have titled the subject of discussion as "night temperature", rather than "microhabitats". Pardon me if I may ask again...

The effect of night temperature as a limiting factor in successful cultivation came up recently, and I was wondering if anyone has observations or speculation on that topic, more specifically...

Has anyone heard of someone in the East attempting to satisfy the western species (and T. undulatum) by planting them in a low-lying position where night temperatures (and day temperatures) are lower?

John L., I'm glad to know that rivale and vaseyi do not require streamside siting and are apparently not fussy about temperature.

I, too, have found that some species of native plants so very well in places very different than their natural habitats. Virginia bluebells and native hibiscus can thrive and reproduce on hard, red clay on an upland, as an example. Most of my trilliums, too, do very well in places much drier and warmer than in their natural colonies.

On the other hand, as an example, obligate wetland plants must have wetness. Perhaps some trilliums are obligate cool-nighters. Undulatum, Kurabayashii, chloropetalum, others?

Surely I am not pioneering in trying out cooler sites to try and succeed with kurabayashii in the East. Or am I?

Dan Miles, Virginia Piedmont, zone 7a

Sent from my iPhone