[Trillium-l] Microhabitats

Charles Hunter 2csh at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 19 23:21:03 CET 2015

Struggles with growing western trilliums in the east are more than just
duplicating habitats, unless the composition of the soil is considered part
of duplicating a habitat, and as we all know, specially prepared soil in the
garden has a tendency to revert to local native soil over time. It is not
just western trilliums that are hard to grow in the east. The only western
native azalea (Rhododendron occidentale) is virtually impossible to keep
alive for any length of time in the east as is the west coast native large
leaf evergreen Rhododendron macrophyllum. I think there are more species
that this is true of as well. I think it is not a simple answer. Somebody
needs to do their PhD thesis on this.

Charles Hunter
Smyrna, Georgia USA z7