[Trillium-l] Microhabitats

John T Lonsdale PhD john at johnlonsdale.net
Sat Jan 17 15:26:40 CET 2015

Dan,

I've succeeded with all species I've tried, with the exception of the
westerners apart from rivale, undulatum and nivale, even in habitats which
are nothing like their native haunts.  For example vaseyi is doing
beautifully on a S facing slope which can get very dry in the summer.  I
find that the mimicking of habitat conditions is essential for reliable
natural seedling regeneration but not for establishment of mature rhizomes.
That said, you have to look after them to help them establish, after that
they seem fine.

Russ, yes, I've tried and failed with ovatum.  My rivale have come from all
over the place, as rhizomes and many I've raised from seed.  I don't have,
but would love, either seeds or rhizomes of those with the gorgeous veined
leaves, if anyone would like to swap a few!

Thanks,

John

John T Lonsdale
407 Edgewood Drive,