[Trillium-l] Decipiens

Russell Graham eldergrahams at me.com
Sat Jan 17 04:53:44 CET 2015

Ah Robin!

On Jan 16, 2015, at 6:02 PM, Robin Graham Bell wrote:

> Hi Dan, I am imagining (& hoping) that zone 7 is where all the south eastern & western species will come together & be happy.

You should be close, BUT summer heat and moisture and soil drainage may be MORE the issue than ZONE.

As I mentioned to you recently, I have killed many zone 5 plants here in my zone 7-8 location, (to say nothing of ALL the Zone 2 Meconopsis that have passed in my inadequate care).

> Ithaca certainly was not the place for that ( lancifolium did do well there) & apparently neither is the SE US for western species.

Again, it does depend, as John commented about Deno's albidum. Certainly the westerners do NOT thrive in the East as they do in MANY other parts of the world...but they are surviving in several eastern gardens, but struggle and then die in GA for sure.

For what it is worth, most of the eastern species will do for me (but "our" slugs prefer them to the local Trilliums...) In particular, decipiens and underwoodii have done well here and in some Seattle gardens, one in the shadows of Mt Rainer.

> Both ovatum & rivale are native here & albidum is pretty close by as well. Although there are what appear to be vastly different habitats around me, water (presence or absence) appears to be the defining thread. Perhaps I'm oversimplifying things, but I am about to find out.

It is easy to make the wrong assumptions (perhaps oversimplify) as to what is critical versus important versus a non-issue when growing Trilliums. Too bad more research has not been documented...