[Trillium-l] Trillium research

Charles Hunter 2csh at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 16 23:29:25 CET 2015

Robin: Fred Case noted in his book (comments, p. 179) that repeated freezing
kills T. decipiens in northern gardens because it comes up too early. I
guess the relatively "mild" freezes we get in north Georgia are tolerated by
the plants. I suspect that the same would be true for the T. underwoodii
that hail from the most southern area near where Florida. Georgia and
Alabama come together, as those are even earlier for me than decipiens.
However, I see no similar comment for underwoodii in Case's book.

However, underwoodii also grow north of that location in east central
Alabama which is considered the Piedmont, higher altitude and further north
than the southern coastal plain locations in or near the Florida panhandle.
My guess is that the plants he gave you were from this part of Alabama, and
I have noticed that my underwoodii from the Alabama Piedmont are distinctly
later to come up and to bloom than the more southern ones, which means they
are likely to be exposed to less winter up north. A clue from the book is on
p. 237 where he says: "Blooms near Clanton, Alabama in early to mid April".
If you look at the attached map, you will see the Piedmont area of Alabama
as a green triangular shaped area in the eastern central part of the state.
Clanton is near the western tip of that green triangle, and if I were a
betting man, I would wager Case got a few plants from there and that is what
you have. I know of no decipiens that grow in the Alabama Piedmont area.

Charles Hunter
Smyrna, Georgia USA z7