[Trillium-l] Trillium research

Robin Graham Bell rgb2 at cornell.edu
Fri Jan 16 22:41:59 CET 2015

Hi Charles, Maybe you can answer this question for me. Several years ago I visited Fred Case & during that visit he offered me some T. underwoodii from his garden.......I'd been relating my difficulties with southern T's in zone 5 Ithaca NY. He said his were perfectly hardy in his Michigan garden & I could dig some from his clump. I did, of course, immediately, & they grew & flowered perfectly well in my Ithaca garden. But he didn't tell me where they came from, I forgot to ask in my haste to put his offer into effect (joking, just forgot to ask). They certainly look to me like underwoodii & I have no reason to doubt him, but is there any more northerly population that could take US zone 5 as these clearly did in Michigan as well as NY? Alternatively, maybe they are all hardier than you think? Although, my own experience with others, decipiens, for example, makes me wonder what the exact issue might be. The problem with the decipiens was that they emerged too soon & the shoots were repeatedly frozen into oblivion. The rhizome could clearly survive the winter, but not the too- early emergence.
	Robin Bell, Medford, OR. zone 7+.