[Trillium-l] Trillium Research

Charles Hunter 2csh at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 16 22:17:22 CET 2015

Carl: I know that T. decipiens and T. underwoodii, 2 of the most southern
species, tolerate mild freezes well here in the colder Atlanta, Georgia
area. After all, it occasionally freezes in the Florida panhandle area (near
the Georgia and Alabama state lines) where these species grow wild and are
up out of the ground very early before the weather begins to turn warm. They
may need some heat in the summers though to mimic the very hot summers in
the area where these plants grow wild- since we have hot summers here also,
I have never really concerned myself with that, but I have heard that these
deep south species do not grow so well outside in maritime climates like the
UK, New Zealand and even the Pacific Northwestern USA. Maybe somebody from
those areas can report about that. Did your greenhouse get hot in the
summer?

Charles Hunter
Smyrna, Georgia USA z7