[Trillium-l] Trillium Research - Polytunnel

Russell Graham eldergrahams at me.com
Fri Jan 16 22:03:27 CET 2015

Ouch Carl!

On Jan 16, 2015, at 12:38 PM, Carl Denton wrote:

> G.Carlton Denton
> Yorkshire England  Z8
>
>  We had a windy phase a few days ago which has demolished my
> wooden glasshouse with the South eastern trilliums in. It was 50 years
> old and most of its mortice joints had rotted so did not put up much
> resistance. The trilliums are just showing the small green shoots of
> early growth so should take no harm with the mild frosts we get here.
>
> I was going to replace it like for like until I found that the cost of a
> new glasshouse would be approaching £5,000. Now I am considering a
> quality polytunnel by Haygrove at only £800.

I have my potted Trilliums in polytunnels and only have to provide added heat a few nights a year as a general rule.
> This has a high quality
> coated woven polyethelene cloth of 172gms per squ metre, UV treated with
> light transmission of 88% and scattered/diffused light of 45% +/- 5%.
> My question now is do you know, or any of the lists members know, if
> this material will have any deliterious effects on the growth of South
> eastern trilliums.

I have to provide shade cloth in the summer but my cover is not as high end as what you describe and is clear poly. My guess is the poly you describe will be "better" than glass because of the diffusion. I cannot imagine there would be deliterious aspects with the possible exception of too much light mid summer before the Trillium go dormant.

> I can see that with the light scattering effect I may
> not need to shade the tunnel.

Maybe, maybe not...at least partially it depends on the location of the tunnel...for what it is worth the higher the sidewalls the better to avoid overheating with too small a volume.

> Now my research this year will be into how effective polytunnels are in
> growing trilliums from the south eastern States.

Should be mostly positive. Haygrove has had some major installations in the Pacific Northwest.