[Trillium-l] Trillium Research

Charles Hunter 2csh at bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 15 07:42:17 CET 2015

Russ: Of course the problem with growing trilliums by nurseries is the
number of years it takes to get from seed to flowering plant. Of course
there are some sellers who buy and then sell plants dug from the wild, but I
doubt if what Fred Case said is really coming true. Surely somebody on this
list would have posted something if it were the case.

I PROMISE I do not have any financial interest in Plant Delights Nursery in
North Carolina, but owner Tony Avent is trying to do several species of
trilliums from seed. Of course these are not the western species, which are
very difficult in the east. My bet is that he doesn't really expect to
retire off profits from trillium sales (he sells LOTS of other stuff) but
has an interest in these plants and I see on his website that he now offers
several selections of the rare species T. gracile- I have never seen that
one offered for sale anywhere before. I know that he is close to offering T.
oostingii. Whatever he is doing can certainly be considered cutting
edge/research within the context of what Fred Case was talking about..

Not sure tissue culture would make blooming plants sooner than seeds.  No
doubt there is interest in trilliums from people who know what they are, but
not sure most nursery people will get enthused about a plant that takes that
many years to get to blooming stage, at least from a profit standpoint.

Anyhow this is my $ 0.02.

Charles Hunter

Smyrna, Georgia USA z7 (early underwoodii, Gainesville Florida maculatum,
some decipiens and one foetidissimum showing in the garden- none blooming)

  _____