[Trillium-l] Yellow pigment in sessile species

The Grahams eldergrahams at me.com
Sat Dec 29 04:15:27 CET 2012

On Dec 24, 2012, at 5:24 PM, Charles Hunter wrote: about Christmas Trilliums
> For regular maculatum like the ones that grow wild near you, if you try to peel back the sepals on a flower bud to try to see what color the flower will be, often the petals are yellow, but when the flower opens, the petals are usually maroon- evidently the color comes into the flower petals later than when the petals are formed, often right before bloom time.

Interesting observation and thanks for sharing.

Below is a kurabayashii that I found last Spring. It was looking to be an impressive Yellow, BUT it bloomed maroon when fully open. There were a number of yellows and maroons already open in the immediate area.

Seems the Trilliums on both coasts can and do perform in similar manners...