[Trillium-l] Christmas early trilliums

Charles Hunter 2csh at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 25 02:24:03 CET 2012

LIke I said in the e-mail, it is common for some of those weird Gainesville
trillium to open with yellow flower petals, but the petals always turn
maroon fairly quickly.

For regular maculatum like the ones that grow wild near you, if you try to
peel back the sepals on a flower bud to try to see what color the flower
will be, often the petals are yellow, but when the flower opens, the petals
are usually maroon- evidently the color comes into the flower petals later
than when the petals are formed, often right before bloom time. So that
means on the Georgia ones you cannot peel back the sepals to see if you have
a yellow maculatum or not. It's just that sometimes the Gainesville ones
open before the petals have turned maroon.

I am unaware if there are any real yellow flowered Gainesville plants. I do
not have any.

  _____