[Trillium-l] Trillium erectum x flexipes

The Grahams eldergrahams at me.com
Wed May 18 16:23:49 CEST 2011

Good to hear Karl,

What do you know about the plant and what do you "think" after having it for 3-4 years?

On May 17, 2011, at 8:59 PM, Karl Kristensen wrote:

> I bought flexipes x erectum in an English nursery for 3-4 years ago.
>
> Karl Kristensen
> Denmark
> www.kalle-k.dk

Is your plant a good garden performer? Is it "better" in habit or appearance than either of the parent species?  Did the source offer any information about the heritage of the plant you purchased (is your plant an f 1 generation or later for example)?

I just reviewed the Case's information on hybrids and "now" realize much of that information and the amazing diversity in the picture on page 42 is the cross WE have been discussing. It is very clear from their writings that the erectum x flexipes hybrid is abundant in some populations and can be produced in the garden as well. However, as has been apparent in these recent posts there is also LOTS of potential for confusion and the influence of other factors than "just" the hybridization of erectum and flexipes.

Thanks,

Russ

WE may have the warmest day of 2011 today and it will still be COOL.