[Trillium-l] Trillium erectum x flexipes

Robin Graham Bell rgb2 at cornell.edu
Tue May 17 20:14:59 CEST 2011

	Mike, I have done this cross & although I only got 6 seedlings one had a near vertical pedicel, (to my surprise) with just a pink flower, no bullseyes or white throats. Considering the range of pedicel angles in the S.F. population, & the fact that there are no close flexipes I think that erectum x cernuum is a more likely source of the variation found there than erectum x flexipes. Assuming, that is, that it is a hybrid swarm at all. It could also be an erectum population that is evolving towards something like a white sulcatum or simile. Although it hasn't been mentioned, there are quite a few cream/yellow flowers with a pink to red ovary in the population & you get these from S.F. seed as well.
	Robin Bell, Ithaca, New York, Zone 5.